About Congress Heights Campus:
Our flagship campus the former, McGogney School, was recently named “Eagle Academy at Congress Heights.” In 2013, we invested in design and renovations of the Wheeler Road SE location including tremendous investments in IT infrastructure and our first swimming pool for students (which officially opened in 2014) and their families. Our school leadership worked diligently to make progressive changes, recruiting high-performing teachers and staff, to lead our students. In the summer of 2015, it was announced that Mrs. Melanie Leonard, and Mr. Royston Lyttle would be the newly appointed principals of the Eagle Academy Congress Heights campus.
What We Believe:
Eagle Academy Public Charter School, a culturally sensitive early childhood learning community, believes the following:
- Each classroom setting functions as a provocative learning environment to promote learning experiences that provide awe and wonderment for the young learner.
- Promoting language acquisition and literacy development through the use of developmentally appropriate practices is a critical component of the early learning years.
- Discovery is planned with the intention for students to be independent, critical thinkers developing at their own pace. Stakeholders must be committed to social competence, emotional well-being, and individual cognitive growth of all students to achieve and exceed District of Columbia Office of State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) Early Childhood Standards.
- Students learn at high levels through hands-on, creative and imaginative learning opportunities while building a sense of joy for life-long learning.
- A carefully constructed bridge between school and home encourages and invites parents/guardians to be partners and advocates in the education of their child.
- Professional development, training, and reflective practices build a common language and a deeper understanding of the teaching and learning process for the faculty and leads to an improved academic and social outcome for students.